Study In Canada Without A Study Permit – Apply Now

Work permit application on a table.

A foreign national must apply for and get a Canadian study permit in order to study in Canada at any level. A foreign student may, however, be excluded from this requirement in certain circumstances.

Studying in Canada for a Few Months: Individuals who are pursuing a six-month or fewer program of study do not require a study permit. Courses can include any subject(s) and can be taken part-time or full-time. The course of study must be completed within the six-month period to be considered exempt from the need for a study permit. For the express purpose of completing a short-term program, a visa extension will not be granted.


Foreign nationals who intend to enroll in an educational program in Canada but do not have a study permission must apply for one from outside the country. If the course is short-term in nature and can be finished within the original duration of stay stipulated upon their admission to Canada, an exception may be made.


If foreign nationals intend to work on campus or continue their studies in Canada after completing the original program, Citizenship and Immigration Canada recommended that they apply for a study permit for a period of six months or fewer.

Canada’s Minor Children
Without a study permission, any minor child residing in Canada may attend pre-school, primary, or secondary school. Children of temporary students or workers, as well as Canadian citizens and permanent residents, are also affected.

Children of temporary residents who are not permitted to work or study in Canada are not covered by this provision (i.e. visitors).

Diplomats’ family members and private staff
A permission is not required for family members or members of the private staff of foreign diplomats and foreign accredited representatives to study in Canada. A family member is defined as follows for the purposes of this exception:

A spouse or common-law partner; the individual’s or their spouse’s/common-law partner’s dependent kid; or the dependent child of a dependent child.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like